3D Dot Game Heroes
November 5, 2009
3D Dot Game Heroes is a game that pays homage to classic 8-bit fantasy games, featuring graphics that are based on cubes rather than squared pixels, and gameplay reminiscent of The Legend of Zelda. While many of these features can be considered references to the genere, there also are some specific references to the Zelda series:
- Health in the game is represented by appletes, rather than hearts, but they act just as hearts in the Zelda series. Most notably the maximum health is increased by getting four Life Shards, that look just like apple-shaped Heart Containers.
- There are spider enemies in the game looking almost identical to Tektites from the Zelda series. There also are other enemies similar to Zelda enemies, but most of them are just generic monsters, such as living skeletons (resembling Stalfos), or bats (resembling Keese)
- All of the obtainable items in the game look and are used exactly like items from the Zelda series. These are Bomb, Bow & Arrow, Boomerang and Dash Boots (acting and looking like the Pegasus Boots).
- Some sections in the game resemble places from The Legend of Zelda and might be based on them, most notably a mountain with constantly falling rocks, resembling Death Mountain, and the Forest of No Return, serving the same purepose as the Lost Woods.
- If the player repeatedly attacks a chicken, this will call a flock of chickens and attack the player back, exactly like Cuccos (chickens) do in the Zelda series.
- If a character breaks into a secret cave, he can either be rewarded or fined, exactly like secret caves in The Legend of Zelda. An old man even sometimes tells "It's everybodys secret", referencing the Old Man's line "It is a secret to everyone" from The Legend of Zelda.
- The player's character has a fairy helper character called Lee following him around, possibly based on Navi from Ocarina of Time.
- In various places around the game there are "Fairy Fountains" serving the exact same purepose as Fairy Fountains from the Zelda series.
The creators of 3D Dot Game Heroes held no right over Nintendo's Zelda, but they only included subtle references to the series.