For detailed information about this series, see: Battletoads Wiki
Battletoads is a series of beat'em up videogames created by Rare and published by Tradewest, starring three anthropomorphic toads named after skin conditions: Rash, Zitz, and Pimple.
The seires consists in six games:
- Battletoads (June 1991) for NES, Amiga, SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive, Game Gear, Amiga CD32. A port for the Game Boy was also released in 1994, titled Battletoads in Ragnarok's World not to be confused with the original Game Boy game Battletoads.
- Battletoads (1991), Tiger LCD game.
- Battletoads & Double Dragon (June 1993) for NES, SNES, SEGA Genesis, Game Boy. Also known as Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team.
- Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (June 1993) for SNES. A Sega Master System version was only released in a barely finished state only in Brazil simply as Battlemaniacs in 1996. It features some characters and plot elements originally from the comic.
- Battletoads (September 1993) for Game Boy. Despite featuring the same title, it's a different game than the NES one.
- Battletoads (1994), Arcade. Also known as Super Battletoads.
A Game Boy Advance game was also planned, but never finished. An incomplete prototype was released online by RareWareCentral on November 19, 2011 as a rom file.
A 2-part comic based on the videogame was published on issues 24 (May 1991) and 25 (June 1991) of Nintendo Power, serving as a backstory of the series.
A pilot for a Battletoads TV series based on the original game was produced and aired in 1992, though the series never continued.
Links to Other Series
|Wizards & Warriors||June 1991||The Rhyno enemy from Wizards & Warriors makes an appearance in Battletoads.||1
|Space Invaders||June 1991||Battletoads features enemies based on the aliens from Space Invaders.||3
|Pendragon||June 1991||The Karnath's Lair level in Battletoads is named after the Pendragon game The Staff of Karnath.||3
|Double Dragon||June 1993||Battletoads & Double Dragon is a crossover between the two series.||1
|Jetman||June 1993||Battletoads & Double Dragon features a level possibly based on Solar Jetman.||3
|Mario||January 1994||The Battletoads are in Super Mario: Verloren in der Zeit.||1
|2001||The cancelled Battletoads Game Boy Advance game was going to feature elements from the cancelled Diddy Kong Pilot.|
|Angry Video Game Nerd||September 03, 2008||The fifty-fifth episode of The Angry Video Game Nerd is a review of the NES version of Battletoads.||2
|Banjo-Kazooie||November 11, 2008||Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts features a reference to the Battletoads series.||2
|Shovel Knight||April 29, 2015||The Battletoads appear in the Xbox One version of Shovel Knight.||1
|Rare Replay||August 04, 2015||Rare Replay includes the original Battletoads and the arcade Battletoads as playable games.||2
|Killer Instinct (Rare)||March 2016||Rash from Battletoads is a DLC character in Season 3 of Killer Instinct.||1|