Super Smash Bros.
April 26, 1999
Super Smash Bros. features from the Kirby series:
- 1 playable characters
- 1 stage
- 2 items
- 2 music tracks
Kirby is one of the eight starting characters in Super Smash Bros. with his appearance from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.
- Netural: Inhale: Kirby inhales an opponent into himself and can either spit it straight out or copy his or her (unless it's another Kirby) neutral ability for as long as Kirby can hold it. Although Kirby had the ability in Kirby's Dreamland, the copying ability came later in Kirby's Adventure.
- Up: Final Cutter: Kirby draws a sliver blade, jumps into the air, and falls quickly, releasing a blue "wave" projectile forward if he lands on a solid surface. The move is based on one of the cutter ability's moves in Kirby Superstar.
- Down: Stone: Kirby turns into a stone figure which can cause damage when falling on others. The move is based on the stone ability in Kirby's Adventure.
- Pink Kirby: 1P: Kirby's classic colors.
- Yellow Kirby: 2P (Dream Course): Based on the second player, Keeby. The color could be a reference to Beam Kirby
- Blue Kirby: 3P & Blue Team: The color could be a reference to Ice Kirby.
- Red Kirby: 4P & Red Team: The color could be a reference to Fire Kirby.
- Green Kirby: Green Team: The color could be a reference to the original Gameboy screen or Plasma Kirby.
Kirby and Ness's home stage, is based on the Whispy Woods boss fight in Kirby Superstar. Even Whispy Woods is an obstacle who blows a big gust of wind at anyone in front of him. Also, Dream Land can be seen in the background along with King Dedede and Bronto Burt.
A recurring item from the Kirby series, when picked it restores 100% of the character's health. This also happened in its original appearance.
A recurring item from the Kirby series, when picked up the character can use it as a battering ram and shoot stars off of it.
- 10: A fast-paced remix of the "Gourmet Race" Theme from Kirby Super Star, heard on Dream Land. Both the music and the stage were reused in Melee.
- 20: The victory fanfare of Kirby is an orchestration of the shortened "Stage Complete" theme heard in general Kirby games.