For detailed information about this series, see: Sporewiki
Spore is a series of videogames created by Maxis and EA, and released on September 7, 2008 for PC, Mac, and iOS.
The original game simulates the evolution of a species from being a microorganism to space exploration, with the gameplay changing from action, to life simulation, to real time strategy. Other games are minor entries that feature different gameplay elements.
The released games are:
- Spore Origins (August 25, 2008), mobile phone, iOS, Nokia N-Gage. A minor game based on the Cell stage from the full game, released prior to the main game.
- Spore (September 7, 2008), PC, Mac, iOS.
- Spore Creatures (September 7, 2008), Nintendo DS. Also released in 2010 for iOS.
- Spore Hero (October 6, 2009), Wii.
- Spore Hero Arena (October 6, 2009), Nintendo DS.
- Spore Islands (November 5, 2009), Online. Found at facebook.com, it was removed on July 7, 2010.
- Spore Creatures (December 17, 2009), mobile phone, Nokia N-Gage, iOS, Android. A sequel to Spore Origins centered on the Creature stage from the original game, unrelated to the Nintendo DS game of the same name.
- Darkspore (April 26, 2011), PC. Arguably its own series, it's an action-RPG featuring the same creature creation system from Spore, but sporting a more dark and realistic graphic style. Servers shut down on March 1, 2016.
Also a game titled Spore Creature Keeper was planned for a PC and Nintendo DS release in 2009, but was later cancelled.
Additional software releases are:
- Spore Creature Creator (June 18, 2008), PC, Mac. A software to create creatures for the game, it was released prior to the game itself.
- Spore: Galactic Edition (September 7, 2008), PC, Mac. A special edition of the game, also including many additional contents.
- Spore: Creepy & Cute (November 17, 2008), PC, Mac. An expantion pack to the original game, including new creature parts.
- Spore: Galactic Adventures (June 23, 2009), PC, Mac. An expantion pack to the original game, that allows players to create new adventures for the space stage of the game.
- Help eDNA (2010), Online. A puzzle text game promoting Darkspore and serving as a prequel to it.
Many merchandise for the game was released, including items that can be customized with images of player-created creatures.
Links to other series
|Sim||September 07, 2008||Spore was originally going to be SimEverything, but later evolved into its own game; the UFO from the SimCity 2000 box art appears in the game as "Steve".||1
|Mario||September 07, 2008||One of the examples in a Special Spore Strategy guide is Sloshi (A parody of Yoshi).||3
|Mass Effect||September 07, 2008||There's a reference to Mass Effect in a Special Spore Strategy guide.||3|